Hertford Basin – Dicker Mill Industrial Estate – future planning
Background - some businesses located on the industrial estate have applied for change of use to Residential use - see planning application > https://publicaccess.eastherts.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QL62VXGL04O00
Cllr. Goodeves has raised concern relating to the inappropriateness of the loss of employment, which could set the scene for another unwanted major residential development, on Dicker Mill with the loss of employment to somewhere else.
Additionally, the District Councill will be calling for sites later this year for the next District Planning period ie.2033 onward, and it is suspected that the site would be proposed for redevelopment if not before.
Proposal - So, with that in mind and further to a suggestion made in the recent KNP survey returns, I believe we should “sow the seeds” of developing an innovative scheme to improve the image of Hertford that visitors and residents will want to be part of – I believe the proposal to redevelop Dicker Mill into a Village Marina with a diverse range of activities would be a major asset for Hertford’s version of “Little Venice” which would –
· Be a destination of choice for visitors and residents
· Provide a mixed economy of business and leisure services
· Improve the local economy
· Provide local employment both short and long term
· Provide links to Hartham Common and nearby local business
· Include a visitor’s marina for Canal and small pleasure boats, with small chandlers and even a small boatyard!
· Include wharfside leisure and business facilities themed to Hertford’s heritage as a confluence of four rivers and links with canal side trading of the past but with an eye on the future.
Fig 1 is a rough plan of the site approx. 470 m long and 90 m. it’s widest.
Fig 2 is a current image
Challenges – Does the forum think this has mileage?
· Is it viable financially?
· Could it attract adequate investment?
· Will we get Council’s support?
· Is there appetite for such a scheme in a small-town like Hertford?
· Technical, Environmental and Biodiversity challenges?
Next Steps – suggest a review by the Building Environment & Planning group.
Welcome the group's views which is a follow up from a comment made during the resident's recent KNP survey